Welcome!

Be sure to register in order to take full advantage of all of the awesome features this forum has!

Photo
- - - - -

A new term for the mentally disabled...

72 replies to this topic

#1 Greytabby

Greytabby

Resident dodo bird...

• Departed
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,835 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 11 July 2012 - 09:10 PM

If this is in the wrong place I apoligize and ask someone to please move it to health... I really don't know what to think of this... My Kimmy is developementally
delayed... But she is very smart in a lot of things... And although she is slow with some things... (as is everybody) I don't know... What do all of you think?

KAT

The Support for the Term “Intellectual Disabilities”

The support comes from those who see the previous term “mental retardation” as insulting. Those with intellectual disabilities have been called many variations of that name as a form of put-down or insult. Parents find it insulting to their child who might fall in that category. By any measure, the term has developed a negative connotation surrounding its use.
Some have even left comments to news stories about the change saying that we fight wars over other things, yet seem to neglect taking care of those in need by failing to fight the war against stereotypes.

Arguments Against Changing the Name to Intellectual Disabilities

Most of the arguments against the name change challenge why this was a matter of importance when there are so many other pressing issues on the political table right now. One argument is that there was a time when the term “mental retardation” was initiated because it was the politically correct term that was replacing other more derogatory terms and, given enough time, the term “intellectual disabilities” might lose its political correctness also.

Others have argued that we do not need to avoid calling something what it is. It is “mental retardation” and the term has meaning when used correctly. However, using variations of the term as an insult will not be stopped by replacing “mental retardation” with the term “intellectual disabilities.”

How the Change to the Term Intellectual Disabilities will Happen and Who it Will Impact

When the government changes a name like that, it trickles down to every agency that is under its authority. That means agencies, such as social security. That also means public schools. If your child qualifies for special education and has an IQ of less than 70, long with significant deficits in adaptive behavior, then they will have intellectual deficits, not mental retardation.

Supposedly, as new materials are printed, they will have the new name. The old name will still be out there for a while but the change should take place as soon as possible...

Isaiah 41:9, 10
you, whom I have taken hold of from the extremities of the earth, and you, whom I have called even from the remote parts of it. And so I said to you, ‘You are my servant; I have chosen you, and I have not rejected you. 10 Do not be afraid, for I am with you. Do not gaze about, for I am your God. I will fortify you. I will really help you. I will really keep fast hold of you with my right hand of righteousness.’

To me... Religious diversity shouldn't mean shutting everyone up so as not to offend... To me religious diversity should mean giving everyone the freedom to discuss their belief... without fear of persecution...

New world Translation Of The holy Scriptures...

(Proverbs 18:24) There exist companions disposed to break one another to pieces, but there exists a friend sticking closer than a brother.

#2 Jay

Jay

Still Hasn't Set a Title!

• Community
  • 16,560 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 09:29 PM

So, the term mental retardation, which was made up to be a politically correct term, is now being replaced by another "politically correct" term because it's... no longer politically correct?

When will all of the hypersensitive PC police realize it's not the word, but the way it's used that matters?

• Veruka likes this

[Insert witticism here]

#3 Greytabby

Greytabby

Resident dodo bird...

• Departed
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,835 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 11 July 2012 - 09:41 PM

POPULAR

So, the term mental retardation, which was made up to be a politically correct term, is now being replaced by another "politically correct" term because it's... no longer politically correct?

When will all of the hypersensitive PC police realize it's not the word, but the way it's used that matters?

I agree 100% I teach Kimmy that there is nothing wrong with her condition or what she is.....
It's the insisted upon ignorance of some people that is wrong... I sometimes refer to Kimmy
as mentally retarded... And she has no problem with this... Only how some people treat her...
Once someone was telling retard jokes... (as they called them...) And Kimmy got hurt... Be-
cause she knew they were mocking her... Not because of the phrase mentally retarded... I
spoke to the person and told them their joke hurt her... And the idea went right over their
empty head... I left them to their ignorance... People are going to use mentally retarded
no matter what... The key is not to hope to stop that... But to teach people it isn't a bad
thing and to accept people who have this challenge... A lot of the hype got started with
times when people were not as excepting of people with differences as they are now...
Kimmy isn't hurt by the term mentally retarded... But by peoples insistance that she is
bad because of it... Forbidding the use of a term or phrase will not stop ignorance...
Educating people who are ignorant will...

KAT

• Jay, Victoria, Veruka and 2 others like this
Isaiah 41:9, 10
you, whom I have taken hold of from the extremities of the earth, and you, whom I have called even from the remote parts of it. And so I said to you, ‘You are my servant; I have chosen you, and I have not rejected you. 10 Do not be afraid, for I am with you. Do not gaze about, for I am your God. I will fortify you. I will really help you. I will really keep fast hold of you with my right hand of righteousness.’

To me... Religious diversity shouldn't mean shutting everyone up so as not to offend... To me religious diversity should mean giving everyone the freedom to discuss their belief... without fear of persecution...

New world Translation Of The holy Scriptures...

(Proverbs 18:24) There exist companions disposed to break one another to pieces, but there exists a friend sticking closer than a brother.

#4 Enola

Enola

Frequent Poster

• Departed
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 695 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 10:38 PM

If you ask any downs syndrome child or adult what they think of the term MENTALLY RETARDED, they will say they do not like that word or term.
It isn't politically correct arguments about the usage..it is the meaning. Calling your own child mentally retarded you say does not bother her. But if someone else uses it, it does bother her? She is special needs. Doesn't mean she is stupid.
PC or not....I would never call my child mentally retarded or retarded. Ever. And I would never use that term towards another individual that is developmentally disabled in some form or another. I usually say Special Needs. For all I know, that could be wrong nowadays too but it beats the other word(s).

Definition of RETARDED

sometimes offensive : slow or limited in intellectual or emotional development : characterized by mental retardation

Edited by Enola, 11 July 2012 - 10:38 PM.

#5 SineadRatti

SineadRatti

without music life would be a mistake

• Community
  • 3,750 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio

Posted 11 July 2012 - 10:39 PM

I agree 100% I teach Kimmy that there is nothing wrong with her condition or what she is.....
It's the insisted upon ignorance of some people that is wrong... I sometimes refer to Kimmy
as mentally retarded... And she has no problem with this... Only how some people treat her...
Once someone was telling retard jokes... (as they called them...) And Kimmy got hurt... Be-
cause she knew they were mocking her... Not because of the phrase mentally retarded... I
spoke to the person and told them their joke hurt her... And the idea went right over their
empty head... I left them to their ignorance... People are going to use mentally retarded
no matter what... The key is not to hope to stop that... But to teach people it isn't a bad
thing and to accept people who have this challenge... A lot of the hype got started with
times when people were not as excepting of people with differences as they are now...
Kimmy isn't hurt by the term mentally retarded... But by peoples insistance that she is
bad because of it... Forbidding the use of a term or phrase will not stop ignorance...
Educating people who are ignorant will...

KAT

My sister is the same way. For a long time I used to not say retarded around her, I wasn't sure if she would be hurt by it because she had been made fun of a lot in school and by neighborhood kids so I was hesitant, after she was my little sister and I almost kicked some boys ass for making fun of her bus when it got stuck at the neighborhood gate. Anyway, one day me and my brother were making all kinds of stupid jokes I was calling him crippled and he called me retarded and my sister was laughing the whole time. I think it's funny when people get offended over the retard jokes and my mentally retarded sister can sit there and laugh at them. She knows when someone says it to mean and when it's intended as a joke, the former is when she is hurt by it and rightfully so. When it's used as a joke or as the term which has been deemed the name of her condition, she could care less. My wheelchair bound brother is the same way with the word crippled. Ah the conversations we have at my house.

• giabug likes this

#6 Enola

Enola

Frequent Poster

• Departed
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 695 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 10:41 PM

General consensus is....NOT a good word to use.
Here is a sample:

http://www.usmagazin...-retard-2010198

#7 Gerimerrymuffin

Gerimerrymuffin

Not your average cupcake

• Staff
  • 7,074 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 11 July 2012 - 10:43 PM

The common term here is "special needs" which is quite broad spectrum but generally refers to someone with an intellectual disability.

Your body is not a temple, it is an amusement park. Enjoy the ride! - Anthony Bourdain

Posted Image

Religion is believing in someone else's experience. Faith is believing in your own experience - J.C. Winters

#8 Jay

Jay

• Community
  • 16,560 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 10:45 PM

If you ask any downs syndrome child or adult what they think of the term MENTALLY RETARDED, they will say they do not like that word or term.

Strange, Kat just said the exact opposite.

She is special needs. Doesn't mean she is stupid.

Nor does retarded mean "stupid".

PC or not....I would never call my child mentally retarded or retarded. Ever. And I would never use that term towards another individual that is developmentally disabled in some form or another. I usually say Special Needs. For all I know, that could be wrong nowadays too but it beats the other word(s).

It's cool that you're sensitive like that, but not every use of the term is offensive, as your own copy/paste definition illustrates.

Definition of RETARDED

sometimes offensive : slow or limited in intellectual or emotional development : characterized by mental retardation

(emphasis added)

When the word is abused, or being used in an abusive manner, of course it is offensive. When it is being used to describe the condition, it simply is what it is.

• Veruka likes this

[Insert witticism here]

#9 Enola

Enola

Frequent Poster

• Departed
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 695 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 10:49 PM

Ok. Whatever.
Just giving my opinion and what other RETARDED people have told me in the years I have been around them. Nothing more, nothing less.
But the next one I run into, I will tell them you give your regards to the RETARD, ok?

#10 Jay

Jay

• Community
  • 16,560 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 10:52 PM

Ok. Whatever.
Just giving my opinion and what other RETARDED people have told me in the years I have been around them. Nothing more, nothing less.
But the next one I run into, I will tell them you give your regards to the RETARD, ok?

I don't want to see any more complaints about me twisting your words. It would be a wee bit hypocritical after that post.

• giabug likes this

[Insert witticism here]

#11 Jay

Jay

• Community
  • 16,560 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 10:54 PM

Ok. Whatever.

When the word is abused, or being used in an abusive manner, of course it is offensive. When it is being used to describe the condition, it simply is what it is.

In case it was really hard to see in the post above.

[Insert witticism here]

#12 HHRLisa

HHRLisa

Attention Whore.

• Community
  • 6,401 posts
  • LocationMy house!

Posted 11 July 2012 - 10:55 PM

My son has a sensory processing disorder. Many have called him retarded to be mean. I am thankful he has never heard it from anyone. We don't consider him mentally retarded. He's just different. It took a long time for my husband and I to come to terms with him being in a special education class at school. Since we are young and from a generation that has used these terms hatefully. I know I've said to people in the past "you're retarded" as an insult. I was young and stupid. I think it really is all about education of the word and the meaning in which people use it. Now my son is only 4 and hopefully with the schooling and stuff he's been getting for two years now he should be in first grade like a normal kid in 2013. But since having him and going through this I've learned a lot about mental disabilities and how to better handle the negative that comes along with that word.
  • giabug, Veruka, Enola and 1 other like this

#13 Enola

Enola

Frequent Poster

• Departed
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 695 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 10:58 PM

I don't want to see any more complaints about me twisting your words. It would be a wee bit hypocritical after that post.

What? What? So you don't want me to give the retard your regards?

Are you getting all hypersensitive now? I will tell the person in the nicest way of course, that I have an acquaintance on the net and he said to say "hello Retard". It's the INTENT and not really the word, right? RIGHT?

In case it was really hard to see in the post above.

I can see quite well. No need to get your panties in a wad and begin yelling..in colors to boot. Or are you upset because you are stuck between the proverbial rock and hard place?

#14 Enola

Enola

Frequent Poster

• Departed
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 695 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 11:00 PM

My son has a sensory processing disorder. Many have called him retarded to be mean. I am thankful he has never heard it from anyone. We don't consider him mentally retarded. He's just different. It took a long time for my husband and I to come to terms with him being in a special education class at school. Since we are young and from a generation that has used these terms hatefully. I know I've said to people in the past "you're retarded" as an insult. I was young and stupid. I think it really is all about education of the word and the meaning in which people use it. Now my son is only 4 and hopefully with the schooling and stuff he's been getting for two years now he should be in first grade like a normal kid in 2013. But since having him and going through this I've learned a lot about mental disabilities and how to better handle the negative that comes along with that word.

Exactly. If I ever called the nice young gal at the local market (Down's Syndrome) "Hey, you did a great job bagging my stuff! Not all retarded or squashing my bread", it would hurt her feelings really bad and the store would probably kick me out. I wouldn't do it anyway. Fuck PC. I could care less. I care about the person it MAY hurt.

#15 Jay

Jay

• Community
  • 16,560 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 11:00 PM

What? What? So you don't want me to give the retard your regards?

Are you getting all hypersensitive now? I will tell the person in the nicest way of course, that I have an acquaintance on the net and he said to say "hello Retard". It's the INTENT and not really the word, right? RIGHT?

I can see quite well. No need to get your panties in a wad and begin yelling..in colors to boot. Or are you upset because you are stuck between the proverbial rock and hard place?

So much for your claims to be retired from the bullshit, eh? You're getting super bitter over a simple disagreement.

[Insert witticism here]

#16 Enola

Enola

Frequent Poster

• Departed
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 695 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 11:07 PM

So much for your claims to be retired from the bullshit, eh? You're getting super bitter over a simple disagreement.

Bitter? Nope. Just stating what should be obvious. ASSuming again, Jay? You have a bad habit of that.

Do you work or have ever worked with or are friends with or have hung around developmentally disabled children or adults? If not, then you have no clue as you sit on your pedestal and dictate what can and cannot hurt and sneer up your nose at what is or is not PC. If you HAVE, then I suggest you ask your friends, co workers, relatives, acquaintances, super market gal, fast food server that IS special needs if that term makes them feel bad. Then you can waggle your finger all you want. Until then....pfffffffffffft to you.

AND.....since when does being retired mean I cannot speak my opinion? Is this why you removed yourself as admin? I can see why.

#17 Jay

Jay

• Community
  • 16,560 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 11:09 PM

Bitter? Nope. Just stating what should be obvious. ASSuming again, Jay? You have a bad habit of that.

Do you work or have ever worked with or are friends with or have hung around developmentally disabled children or adults? If not, then you have no clue as you sit on your pedestal and dictate what can and cannot hurt and sneer up your nose at what is or is not PC. If you HAVE, then I suggest you ask your friends, co workers, relatives, acquaintances, super market gal, fast food server that IS special needs if that term makes them feel bad. Then you can waggle your finger all you want. Until then....pfffffffffffft to you.

AND.....since when does being retired mean I cannot speak my opinion? Is this why you removed yourself as admin? I can see why.

Pot meet kettle. I grew up with the developmentally disabled. The only time they were bothered by it were when the school bullies used it as an insult. You think changing the term will change that? Of course not.

Get off your pedestal.

[Insert witticism here]

#18 Enola

Enola

Frequent Poster

• Departed
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 695 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 11:12 PM

Pot meet kettle. I grew up with the developmentally disabled. The only time they were bothered by it were when the school bullies used it as an insult. You think changing the term will change that? Of course not.

Get off your pedestal.

Well gosh. I guess you told me, eh?

You are beginning to be the Jay I met when I first got here. Time for a Jay Break. Talk to the hand for awhile.

#19 HHRLisa

HHRLisa

Attention Whore.

• Community
  • 6,401 posts
  • LocationMy house!

Posted 11 July 2012 - 11:12 PM

I want a pedestal! Can I sit on it and say "look at me!!!"
  • FIRES, Veruka and bondgirl like this

#20 Jay

Jay

• Community
  • 16,560 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 11:15 PM

Well gosh. I guess you told me, eh?

You are beginning to be the Jay I met when I first got here. Time for a Jay Break. Talk to the hand for awhile.

Yes, petty jabs are the last resort of those who have nothing of value to add to a discussion.

I notice you completely avoided answering my question. Probably because you know my answer is the correct one.

[Insert witticism here]

Reply to this topic